Performance Drop the longer the game runs.

Troubleshooting and assistance for technical issues.

Performance Drop the longer the game runs.

Postby Quardah » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Hello!

I'm having issues with the game under Linux.

Configuration :
Kernel : 4.0.5-1-ARCH
Processor : Intel 2520m @ 2.5GHz
Graphics : Intel HD3000
RAM : 8GB @ 1333MHz

I am obviously using OpenGL and not DirectX

The issue is that the game starts really good yet the performance drops after a while. I am trying to run the game smoothly at 1600x900 with Vsync off, the game starts fine and i clearly get above 60fps, yet after half an hour of gameplay the game clutters and throttles everything, moving the cursor and opening the menus is a pain (in fight and in map) and it becomes unplayable. At game start, i remember starting fights in the eastern area (Nabros or something like that) where there's 10 enemies, and since the fast lasts very long, the performances were worst even if there was fewer animated enemies by the end of the fight.

I would be glad if there was some graphical options other than resolution and vsync really. Maybe turn down AntiAliasing and particules could really improve.

---------

Also i would like to say that i have issues when moving characters in my party. The first move ALWAYS works fine, then afterwards any move operation might go wrong and i can't undo (obviously). I remember trying to change my frontline soldier with my Gaulen who's in the back (use him as meatshield to heal the soldier) yet it switched with my Arcane Soldier instead for some reason.

Example :

At First :
[Empty] [Soldier] [Paladin] [Arcane Soldier]
[Empty] [Cleric] [Bard] [Gaulen]

Expected :
[Empty] [Gaulen] [Paladin] [Arcane Soldier]
[Empty] [Cleric] [Bard] [Soldier]

What Happened :
[Empty] [Arcane Soldier] [Paladin] [Soldier]
[Empty] [Cleric] [Bard] [Gaulen]

Maybe there's something wrong with the character pointers. Needless to say it wasn't the first switch of the fight, and Gaulen HAS BEEN in the cell where the Arcane Soldier has been AT LEAST ONCE in the fight. Maybe clicking on Gaulen told the function to switch with the front first cell from the right, which the function somehow worked independently from which character is inside the cell, and therefore switched with the wrong character.

Feel free to move the second question in another thread or just ask me if you want me to move it somewhere else.
Quardah

Re: Performance Drop the longer the game runs.

Postby Menorbriam » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:52 am

Hi,

The Linux version is executed over the MONO runtime (which is the same as the .NET framework for Windows) and it seems that is slower and have some memory leaks which is a pity. Perhaps you can alleviate this issues reducing the RAM assigned to textures. You can edit the Configuration.ini file and change the value of this entry:
<Simple name="MaxTexureMemory" value="512000000" />
By
<Simple name="MaxTexureMemory" value="256000000" />

Hope that it helps,
Thanks for the report
Lords of Xulima Game Director & Tech Support
info@numantiangames.com
Menorbriam
Xulnari

Postby Quardah » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:36 am

Hello!

Thanks for the tip. The value is already set to 262144000. Should i set it even lower? Is there a minimum?

Do you have any other ways to optimize the game runtime? I do not really care about reducing the graphics, such as shaders or particles or anti-aliasing or whatever. I would simply like to have a fluent 60fps on 1600x900 on my current configuration.
Quardah

Postby Quardah » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Dear friend Menorbriam,

Sorry for doubleposting.

After testing today with a lower value for "MaxTextureMemory" (using 128000000), i have to admit the performance drasticly increased. The FPS are stable still at 20 minutes. After 40 minutes of gameplay, the game is still playable yet is still slowed down.

I'd say, if my memory serves me well, using the value 262144000 made the game unplayable at 25 minute mark. Using 128000000, The game runs really well at this mark and becomes unplayable passed the 60 minutes mark.

Also, i found out that the more i switch zone, the faster it becomes unplayable. I believe loading new zones affects performances as well.

Maybe you have other tricks up your sleeve to speed it up a little bit more.

Thanks again.
Quardah

Postby Quardah » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:26 pm

bump

If you could assist me a little further i would really appreciate.

Sorry if i seem annoying.

Thanks.
Quardah

Postby Menorbriam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:25 am

Hi,

Let us check it if we can improve that annoying thing. Are you playing the Steam version?
info@numantiangames.com
Menorbriam
Xulnari

Postby Quardah » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:08 pm

Menorbriam wrote:Hi,

Let us check it if we can improve that annoying thing. Are you playing the Steam version?

Dear friend, thank you for comming back.

Yes, i am playing the steam version. This is quite a bummer because i can't just launch the game via tty, and that would be a blessing. not that i do not like steam, it's just the i believe it might be sapping performances (with the steam overlay and stuff).

Thank you.
Quardah

Postby Quardah » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:57 pm

Hello!

I would like to rebump the thread because i would still like assistance.

I noticed that i can run 60fps for quite some times now with the Mono runtime update. that being said, now the slowdowns feel a little different, because i have slowdowns only after long runs of gaming which the computer heats a lot and so i have lower fps. (75 Celcius +)

If i remove the focus from LOX, the computer cools down (about 35 Celcius) and then i can restart playing 60fps without any issues. Until it overheats again and then drops the fluent 60fps to about 35.

This is acceptable i guess but maybe some more optimisation tweaks will help it run without overheat.

Oh, also, i am running the performance governor instead of powersave (intelp_state).

Thanks again please respond soon! :)
Quardah

Postby Menorbriam » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:47 am

For the overheating issues in the laptop keep enable the vsync option and try a lower resolution if that is not enough.
info@numantiangames.com
Menorbriam
Xulnari

Postby Quardah » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Menorbriam wrote:For the overheating issues in the laptop keep enable the vsync option and try a lower resolution if that is not enough.

Ok i'll try it out thanks
Quardah

Next

Return to Technical Support